Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In Kentucky is it illegal to fire someone for having a family emergency?

Hello I live in Ashland Kentucky and I was fired today at work for needing to leave for about 15-20 minutes. To explain the entire situation here goes. I have been sending my 5 year old to vacation bible school, and today (Sunday) was the last day so the children were putting on a small service play. Well I left out early to ensure that I would arrive at work a few minutes early, and well I forgot to leave our house keys with my spouse. So she called me at work and told me that her, my 5 year old and my two month old were locked out in the 91 degree heat. I then went to my supervisor and informed her that I needed 15 minutes to go unlock my door. I explained to her that there was no way that I was going to leave my two small children out in this heat all day with no where to go. I didn't expect it to be a big deal I live about a 5 minute drive from my place of employment. The supervisor then informed me that if I left that I shouldn't come back, naturally I was taken by surprise and asked if the supervisor if they were serious or just trying to joke around with me. But I was told that they were serious that if I left to go unlock my door to let my children in out of the heat that I was not welcome to come back. I feel like this is something that shouldn't be allowed to happen, thus why I am posting the question. Am I right in assuming that terminating someone in this manner would be considered wrongful termination? Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment